Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dreams Start in Oklahoma

In just one week and a day I will be flying to oklahoma for probably the one of the most successful opportunities I've had in my entire compositional career. I will be seeing my marching band Suite, "The Elements of Time" performed by the Harrah High School Marching Band. My mind is serving a variety of different emotions due to this upcoming event, and I'm uncertain as to which one I should be following the most.

When I received the initial e-mail from Harrah director Martin Andraszek I was placed into a state of shock. He had expressed interest in my musical idiom and explained to me how he was wanting to have me write the show music for his marching band. Having experienced four years with the Lafayette Marching Band of Lexington, Ky....14 time state champion, and nationally recognized for its excellence in music....I immediately processed memories of the amount of difficult and experienced show music that I spent hours upon hours practicing. Two things went through my mind....."This guys nuts!" and "He really has no idea who he's asking to do this."

....that may have been what went through my mind, but that is certainly not what I wrote in his e-mail. I guess you could say I reluctantly accepted the offer and began working on the piece within the following two weeks.

I never have considered myself a great composer, and I am blind to the talent so many have accused me of having. And often times I have even had meltdown's due to frusteration because my music was not achieving the perfection that I wanted. I still consider myself an amateur, though some say because of my success with sales through sibeliusmusic.com, I have reached the level of professionalism others can only dream of. That being said, there has not been a composition I have written that has ever challenged me nearly as much as "The Elements of Time" has. Writing for a Marching Band was a field I once dreaded ever pursuing, and the fact that this complete stranger...only being exposed to compostions in midi format, and a few less than perfect mp3 performances...wanted me to write his show music to be heard by thousands of people all around the state of oklahoma?? And about halfway through, even I felt like I was in over my head! The most difficult thing for me was to ignore what I've heard the 230 member Lafayette Band produce and write music that could be performed by less than 100 musicians. Probably one of the most challenging feats in my entire life.

But the most important thing - i did it. I put all negative images and self-confidence challenges aside and wrote the entire piece. And I listen to it several times a week - they say an artist should really know his own work, and I make sure i am familiar with every note that sounds.

While the piece is not perfect, will probably not sounds as great as I would like because of the challenging nature, and I still spend countless hours critiquing the work - I can't help but feel a little proud for the accomplishment. And the fact that I will be making it down to Oklahoma in a little over a week to hear it performed - I believe the emotion I should most follow is the excitement I have for this trip.

This is a huge step for me to have the future I desire. How appropriate that this is my first blog, as this represents a huge turning point in what nearly became a lost passion for me.

Still, I have always felt that you can give up on a hobby, but you'll never lose a passion.

1 comment:

PPC Young Adults said...

Excited for you, and you're right. It just goes to show that you never know what's right around the corner.

If you ever have it recorded, send it my way!